Which Hearing Aid is Right for You: OTC or Prescription?
Before you consider purchasing an over-the-counter (OTC) hearing aid from a big box store, consider the differences in both the product and care you’ll receive. Hearing loss is complex, and it’s important to weigh your options for treatment before you make a decision.
What to Keep in Mind
While there are advantages to both OTC and prescription hearing aids, you should consider a few factors when deciding.
OTC Hearing Aids
- Helps mild hearing loss
- Suitable for adults (18+)
- Provides amplification in quieter environments
Prescription Hearing Aids
- Helps mild to severe hearing losses
- Suitable for all ages (including children)
- Provides amplification for all environments (quiet to noisy)
- Variety of technology, brands, styles, and colors
- Comprehensive hearing care and follow-up
- Patient-centered experience
- Proper fittings and adjustments
OTC and prescription hearing aids are each suited for different people and it comes down to what you are looking for in a device and what your exact hearing needs are. It is important to note that while many OTC hearing aids have a lower cost upfront, there is no option to have your devices covered by insurance, or to establish a payment plan as there would likely be with a hearing healthcare provider.
Let Us Help You
The first step to determining what hearing aid is best for you is with a hearing evaluation. We can test your hearing, discuss devices that can help you, and provide follow-up care throughout your hearing journey.
If you are ready to start hearing better, contact us today for an evaluation. We would be happy to discuss hearing aids and help you find the right device for your unique needs.